Friday, February 6, 2015

Blog Post #2 - 2015

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za

Twitter: The Good,  The Bad and The Funny?


So the other day I was surfing the net and came across one of my favourite Jimmy Fallon bits "Mean Tweets".  I have to admit that they frequently make me laugh, but then I caught myself and started to think ... hmm.  Since when has it become ok to post insults after insults about others, in such a public forum?  I'm sure many will argue that "they are celebrities and put themselves out there for scrutiny", but I must admit that many of the insults that were read in this skit were nothing short than kind of disgusting.  And of course, celebrities are not the only victims.  I'm sure many of you have been, or know of someone, who was the target of a mean tweet, and maybe, just maybe, some of you have been the person writing that mean tweet.

Following that, I was watching Breakfast Television on the day of the snow storm, and I started hearing about the mean tweets that were directed at schools/school boards because of their decision to keep schools open.  Regardless of what people thought, may arguments were certainly not a productive way of expressing concern, cursing and saying ridiculous things to try and prove their point.  Many students were caught and got in trouble for their twitter activity.  Even following that, the reporter who was reporting on the story was the recipient of mean and bullying tweets as well!  For what? For her doing her job! Ridiculous I say!
(you can watch the video here)

What I don't understand is why?  Why do people feel compelled to write things that they would likely never ever say in person?  What could people possible get from treating others that way in such a public arena?  And more importantly - what can be done to change this growing trend?  I'm sure the creator of twitter never intended for it to be used this way.  Not to mention as well - the permanency of the internet, once posted, it will always exist ...

As the next batch of up and comers - how do you feel about this?  Do you see this as a concern? Or is it something that will just go away on its own?  Should be there laws? Should Twitter be checked/governed?  Should we just leave it as is?  You tell me ....

No comments: